Annual pest control is not something that should be considered optional. Even with the best measures and precautions, it’s entirely possible for many typical pests to find a way into your home, affecting the quality of air, water, and potentially contaminating the food supply.
Thankfully, the cost of pest control is quite affordable. You can typically get high-quality pest control from as little as $250 – 400 for a comprehensive general treatment for your home. This whole house treatment will cover a variety of pests. Preventing or eradicating rodents, termites, and German cockroaches will often be priced separately since they require specialist solutions.
The total price will depend on your specific circumstances as Pest control is a term with quite a large scope of services. Let’s delve into the specifics of pest control in Newcastle and what you can expect to pay.
The most common pests
The pest control cost is going to be determined first and foremost by the type of pest. Some of the most common pests that homeowners seek assistance with include:
- Bed bugs
Some of these are far more problematic than others. Termites top the list as Australia’s most dangerous and damaging pest, capable of chewing through an entire wooden structure within 90 days. The average cost for a repair due to a termite infestation is $7,000. Yet a termite inspection and prevention might only cost $200-300.
Rodents, fleas, and German cockroaches will not be far off in terms of hassle. The problems are not so much the structural damage with these pests as much as contamination of the food and water supply, defecation, and potential for the transmission of dangerous diseases. The prices for these types of pest control will be unique.
The cost of a general household pest control service will typically be $250-400 depending on the size of your home. The service should cover a variety of pests including ticks, spiders, wasps, silverfish, ants, and mites. You will have to check with your provider to see what is specifically covered under the warranty since there can be a lot of variance.
Specialised pest control costs
What about the cost of pest control services other than a general remedy? These are mapped out in the table below to guide your understanding. These costs will vary greatly depending on the nature and extent of the infestation. Pricing is also affected by whether you need both exterior and interior spraying, home and property size, treatment type provided, and the quality of the pest control service.
Most providers will also offer packages that can make it hard to pinpoint exactly how much pest control services really cost, especially on a per-pest basis. Other value-added inclusions may also inflate pricing. For example, if a pest control service offers a long warranty for pest control, you will probably be paying more for it in one way or another. But the peace of mind that the treatments for your home offer can certainly be worth the cost.
It’s more cost effective to take care of as many pests as you can in one visit. Many service providers might charge you $200 to take care of rodents, but you’ll likely be able to take care of other pests, such as ants, fleas, or bed bugs, for half the price in the same trip since the cost of time and travel for the technician is already factored in.
|Pest Control Type||Pest Control Cost (Per Visit)|
|Termite Barriers||$2,000 – $4,000|
|Termite Treatment||$300 – $500|
|Termite Inspection||$200 – $300|
|Rodents||$200 – $400 (Might Need More Than One Service at a Reduced Rate)|
|German Cockroaches||$200 – $400 (Might Need More Than One Service at a Reduced Rate)|
|Fleas and Ticks||$300 – $400|
|General Pest Control||$250 – $400|
|Ants||$200 – $300|
What impacts the price of pest control?
Pest control cost is influenced by multiple components.Here are some of the factors that influence how a service may estimate the work for your home:
- Pest type – The most important factor, the type of pest dictates the treatment and level of expertise needed for eradication. Termites will cost the most. Rodents and German cockroaches will also cost more than typical services.
- Total area – Many providers will charge different rates depending on the number of rooms. They may also charge differently depending on whether the treatment is interior, exterior, or both.
- Extent of infestation – If you have a single rat that just gained entry, ridding your home of the rodent will be a lot easier than eliminating an entire nest that’s been there a while. The same goes for practically every type of pest. Termite colonies can range from 1,000 termites up to 1,000,000. How long it takes you to identify and address the infestation is very relevant.
- Repeat treatment – Some pests, like German cockroaches and rodents, will need more than one treatment to be rid of them completely. These additional visits are often priced as a single package with a reduced rate.
- Package deals – The more pests you take care of in one visit, the better the discount will be. This is offered by the majority of pest control services. It might be more cost effective for you to have a technician spray for a variety of potential pests if you are aware of one or more that already require a service.
- Provider – Some pest control services have decades of experience and offer strong warranties and the top chemicals. These providers will often cost a little more, though this is not always the case. The major benefit with experienced providers is correct identification and a swift eradication. With inexperienced or inferior providers, a second treatment is more likely to be needed (either by design or due to negligence).
How can I prevent pests from entering my home?
There are a number of common-sense measures that you can put into place to ensure that pests do not enter your home. This can help ensure you don’t need to resort to an expensive treatment later on. Preventative pest control cost is much cheaper that treatment for a systemic problem. Some of these recommendations are obvious and easy while others can be more costly and time consuming to implement.
- Sanitation – Seal all food in containers and don’t leave food out at night. Vacuum regularly to remove food particles as well as the eggs or larvae of many pests including ticks, fleas, spiders, flies, bed bugs, mites, and silverfish. Consider asking people to take off their shoes at the door or entry to your residence. Wipe down countertops and surfaces regularly and don’t leave dirty dishes lying around.
- Insulation – Minimise the number of openings in your home from all possible angles. This includes pipes, doors, windows, roofing, and ceilings. Remember that a mouse only needs a quarter-inch gap to gain entry to your home. Insects need far less.
- Home design – This one is a little more difficult to manage. New homes should be built with termite barriers and well insulated. Wood should not be damp. The home structure should not allow for gaps and should use durable and long-lasting materials.
- Maintain the perimeter – The outside of your home should be well maintained. This means that garbage bins should be tightly sealed, and no food should be left outside. Shrubs and earth should be a few feet away from the home. You can also spray the outside of your home frequently to prevent pests from entering.
- Temperature – Regulating temperatures with an air conditioner can help reduce humidity, which attracts pests like termites, cockroaches, mosquitos, and silverfish. Not all pests are attracted by humidity, but it’s best to keep the temperature a little on the low side all the same.
- General maintenance – Pay particular attention to repairs for pools and plumbing. A basement leak can attract all kinds of insects. Clogged roof gutters will result in increased roof moisture. Maintain the garden and don’t let it become too overgrown. Make sure the grill or barbeque is cleaned down after use.
What exactly is a pest control service anyway?
Pest control refers to the prevention and eradication of rodents and insects that can cause damage or create unpleasant living environments. They typically use a blend of environmental and chemical treatments to achieve a pest-free home for their customers.
Getting a pest control licence in Australia is not as simple as running a general handyman business. There are more risks and thus more regulations and standards involved. Pest control services need to be familiar with the different kinds of chemicals, their dangers, and their safe handling and application. They also need to understand the various types of species and their variants.
This is not merely the difference between rodents, termites, and ants. There are various subcategories of each species that need to be treated differently. Pest control services need to be able to determine the exact type of species so they can apply the correct remedy.
Pest control services in Australia are governed by the Australian Pest Control Association (APCA). Getting a licence requires taking a two-week course and costs around $3,000. After taking this course and getting hands-on experience, individuals can apply for a local pest control licence. Of course, the exact requirements and cost might vary from state to state.
Are pest control services worth the money?
The cost of pest control services are actually remarkably low, all things considered. You can get packaged services to tackle a number of different pests all at once. These might only cost between $250-400 for an entire house. And a general inspection will cost you on the lower end. Given the cost of pest control services, they are certainly worth the money.
The hourly rate for pest control is somewhere between $55-85 per hour. This is quite affordable in comparison to other professionals such as electricians or carpenters. However, it is common to be charged per job rather than per hour.
How can I reduce the pest control cost?
The price for eradicating most pests is pretty standardised. You are going to pay $200 for basically any kind of pest control, which covers the base cost of the technician’s time. The best way to reduce the pest control cost is by bundling services together. Look for a pest control agency that tackles as many pests as possible.
You may also want to request a home inspection along with getting rid of a current infestation. In many cases, if one pest is able to get in, it is a sign that more are to follow. If you have a breach in your home, an inspection can identify and patch it up to prevent additional pests from entering. The preventative pest control cost is often a lot less than dealing with multiple infestations.
Why are termite infestations so expensive compared to other pests?
Termites are difficult to eradicate fully, and their colonies can grow up to a million termites! They are Australia’s most dreaded pest for a reason. Termites are so destructive that a whole new treatment is needed to prevent their entry, known as the termite barrier. This is a trench dug around your home and then sprayed with a chemical agent to keep them at bay.
The cost of this trench with spray is around $2,000-4,000. Not cheap, but worth the money when you consider the damage that termites can cause a home if left unchecked. Unlike ants, rodents, and practically all other pests, termites alone can devour an entire wooden structure, leaving you with a massive bill for renovations. The cost of treating and eliminating an existing termite colony will be between $300-600.
Are pest control services in Newcastle safe?
Pest control services are now 100% safe and effective. There are many standards and regulations in place. You will still have to take certain precautions, and the provider may tell you to stay away from certain areas for a while. You may also have a choice in terms of what chemicals are used..
Always ask your pest control service what chemical agent they are using and feel free to research its effects. At the same time, you’re going to have to be a little realistic about what will be applied to your home. If a chemical is tough enough to kill a German cockroach, then it will be pretty potent and you should keep away from it yourself. There is a tradeoff between chemicals and pests, but the infestation is far more deadly than the chemical agent if it is not taken care of.
Talk to your pest control service if you are concerned about the effect of any chemicals on children or pets in your home. There are many alternative remedies that they can take into account. Many pest control services are now marketing themselves as child friendly or pet safe, meaning they only use agents with families in mind.
Pest control Newcastle: Finding an affordable and professional service
There is no question that pest control is essential and necessary for homeowners. The trouble is finding a pest control service that is reliable, sincere, affordable, and professional. This ensures your home is pest free until the next inspection, reducing your hassle and damage over time.
Hunter & Coast Pest Control is one such agency. You can take advantage of a professional Newcastle service with 15 years of dedicated experience and a five-star rating on both Facebook and Google from 340 independent reviews. Our services are affordable, and we deal directly with the problem so have nothing to worry about.
Call now on ?(02) 4956 3169 for a free quote.